What is the best glue for cardboard?
Cardboard is not always the easiest thing to glue because of its fragile nature. But there are several different types of adhesives that will do an excellent job and help you accomplish what you need in your cardboard-based projects. Here are the best adhesives for cardboard.
Table of Contents
SaleBestseller No. 1
Scotch Quick Drying Tacky Glue, 4 oz, Acid Free and Photo Safe (6052-B)
- Goes On Fast And Dries Clear With No Running Or Stringing
- Effective On Hard-to-join Materials Such As Plastic, Metal, Ceramics And Leather
- Fine Tip Offers Precise Application
- Tight-seal Cap Helps Reduce Dry-out
SaleBestseller No. 2
Scotch Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive Spray, Bonds to fabric, cardboard, plastic, metal, wood, felt, and more, 10.7 Ounces (7716)
- Strong, durable bond
- Bonds quickly, and works on a broad range of surfaces
- Bonds to fabric, cardboard, plastic, metal, wood, felt, and more
- VOC <30% Formulation
SaleBestseller No. 3
3M Super 77 Multipurpose Permanent Spray Adhesive Glue, Paper, Cardboard, Fabric, Plastic, Metal, Wood, Net Wt 13.44 oz
- VERSATILE ADHESIVE: Bonds a wide range of lightweight materials (i.e., paper, cardboard fabric, insulation, plastic, metal, wood, felt, fiberglass, foam, leather, and more)
- INDUSTRIAL GRADE: Provides professional, industrial strength for demanding applications
- AGGRESSIVE Tack: Offers a fast, aggressive tack for a quick bond that reduces set time
- BOND TIME: Allows for a bond time of 15 seconds to 30 minutes
- REPOSITIONABLE: Initially repositionable while providing long lasting strength; Helps to create soft, non dimpling glue lines
SaleBestseller No. 4
Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue, 4 FL OZ - 3 Pack, Multi
- Premium all-purpose adhesive
- Versatile and durable
- Nontoxic but super strong
- Dries permanent and clear
- Cleans up easily with soap and water before drying
Bestseller No. 5
tesa Glue Stick - Odourless Craft Glue Stick for Paper and Cardboard - Solvent-Free and Environmentally Friendly - 4 x 20 g
- tesa Glue Stick Promo: environmentally friendly adhesive for office work and handicrafts with paper and cardboard - available in the convenient four stick pack
- The practical adhesive solution: the rounded container shape, the protective cap with integrated roll stop and the light application allow for a comfortable and clean sealing process
- Suitable for children: the glue stick is odourless, solvent-free and the adhesive can be washed off with cold water - therefore particularly pleasant to use
- Environmentally friendly: container made of 100% recycled plastic, adhesive made from 60% natural materials and with 80% recycled cardboard packaging - ecoLogo certified
- Scope of delivery: 1 x tesa Glue Stick Promo - Content: 4 x tesa Stick ecoLogo - 20 g each
The best overall glue for cardboard is Gorilla Clear Glue. Gorilla Clear Glue is sold as being most compatible with wood, but it will really stick to just about anything and it works great with cardboard as it won’t soak through and cause the cardboard to go soggy.
Best Spray Glue for Cardboard
Spray glues are an excellent choice of adhesive for cardboard because the application is so light there is very little chance for it to soak through. The best spray glue for cardboard is the 3M 45 General Purpose Spray Adhesive. 3M 45 General Purpose Spray Adhesive is the perfect spray glue for cardboard because it is meant to be used on light-duty materials such as paper products. It provides very light but wide coverage and a strong bond that won’t weaken with time.
Best Glue for Cardboard to Fabric
If you are into bookbinding, then you know the importance of choosing a good glue for bonging cardboard to fabric. The best glue for the job is Gamblin Poly Vinyl Acetate. Gamblin Poly Vinyl Acetate works great on cotton and linen, won’t soak through, and won’t yellow with time, all while holding its bond.
Gluing Cardboard to Metal
If in your crafting flow you find you need to bond cardboard to metal, the best adhesive is Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy. Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy will bond almost instantly and the cardboard won’t slide off the metal and it will hold forever so long as the cardboard doesn’t get wet.
Overall, the best glue for cardboard is Gorilla Clear Glue. The best spray adhesive for cardboard is 3M 45 General Purpose Spray Adhesive. The best glue for bonding cardboard to fabric is Gamblin Poly Vinyl Acetate. And the best adhesive for bonding cardboard to metal is Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy.
Yes, hot glue will work perfectly fine on cardboard just like any other paper-based product out there.
3M 45 General Purpose Spray Adhesive is not ideal for small surfaces as its nozzle isn’t adjustable and you would be more likely to get glue on things that you don’t want to be glued.
No, Gorilla Clear Glue cannot be thinned, but it can be spread out once applied to allow for that even coverage you are looking for.
No, the Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy nozzle only comes in syringe form. If you want a different application method, we suggest trying a different adhesive.
No, when applying Gamblin PVA, make sure the fabric is ironed out and unstretched for best application to cardboard or other surfaces.