What is the best glue for cardboard?
Cardboard is not always the easiest thing to glue because of its fragile nature. But there are several different types of adhesives that will do an excellent job and help you accomplish what you need in your cardboard-based projects. Here are the best adhesives for cardboard.
Table of Contents
SaleBestseller No. 1
Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue, 4 FL OZ - 3 Pack, Multi
- Premium all-purpose adhesive
- Versatile and durable
- Nontoxic but super strong
- Dries permanent and clear
- Cleans up easily with soap and water before drying
SaleBestseller No. 2
3M Super 77 Multipurpose Permanent Spray Adhesive Glue, Low VOC, Paper, Cardboard, Fabric, Plastic, Metal, Wood, Net Wt 18 oz
- VERSATILE ADHESIVE: Bonds a wide range of lightweight materials (i.e., paper, cardboard fabric, insulation, plastic, metal, wood, felt, fiberglass, foam, leather, and more)
- INDUSTRIAL GRADE: Provides professional, industrial strength for demanding applications
- LOW VOC <25%: CARB and SCAQMD compliant, GREENGUARD certified, helps contribute to LEED credits. Meets applicable 2017 California Air Resource Board VOC limits for mist and web spray adhesives.
- AGGRESSIVE TACK: Offers a fast, aggressive tack for a quick bond that reduces set time
- BOND TIME: Allows for a bond time of 15 seconds to 30 minutes
SaleBestseller No. 3
Aleene's 3 Pack, 8 oz Tacky Glue, 8 FL OZ, Original Version 3 Count
- An incredibly versatile adhesive that works on most craft surfaces
- Ultra tacky formula holds items on contact, dries permanent and super strong
- Safe, nontoxic and low odor
- Dries clear and won’t yellow over time
- Great for kids' crafts, DIY and hobby projects, household repairs and more.Cleans up easily with soap and water before drying
Bestseller No. 4
Steinel GF 14 Carton Glue Stick, 1/2 x 12" long sticks for most standard glue guns , bag with 15 Sticks, best suited for bonding of coated paperboard packaging , Formulated to work best on non coated Cardboard Packaging, 04040
- Works on packaging and anything with paper fibers
- Keeps after 10 seconds, can hold in just 2 minutes
- Features a particularly powerful adhesive for the bonding of cardboard
- Easily removable with hot air
- The glue is solvent-free, therefore non-toxic
Bestseller No. 5
Scotch Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive Spray, Bonds to Fabric, Cardboard, Plastic, Metal, Wood, Felt, and More, 10.7 Ounces (7716)
- Effective spary glue that forms a strong, durable bond
- Bonds quickly, and works on a broad range of surfaces
- Versatile and fast drying spray adhesive that bonds a wide range of lightweight materials: fabric, cardboard, plastic, metal, wood, felt, and more
- Other uses include crafts, school projects, art projects, photo albums, light-duty repairs, light-duty soundproofing, decorating, and more
- Adhesive resists seepage for a stronger bond
The best overall glue for cardboard is Gorilla Clear Glue. Gorilla Clear Glue is sold as being most compatible with wood, but it will really stick to just about anything and it works great with cardboard as it won’t soak through and cause the cardboard to go soggy.
Best Spray Glue for Cardboard
Spray glues are an excellent choice of adhesive for cardboard because the application is so light there is very little chance for it to soak through. The best spray glue for cardboard is the 3M 45 General Purpose Spray Adhesive. 3M 45 General Purpose Spray Adhesive is the perfect spray glue for cardboard because it is meant to be used on light-duty materials such as paper products. It provides very light but wide coverage and a strong bond that won’t weaken with time.
Best Glue for Cardboard to Fabric
If you are into bookbinding, then you know the importance of choosing a good glue for bonging cardboard to fabric. The best glue for the job is Gamblin Poly Vinyl Acetate. Gamblin Poly Vinyl Acetate works great on cotton and linen, won’t soak through, and won’t yellow with time, all while holding its bond.
Gluing Cardboard to Metal
If in your crafting flow you find you need to bond cardboard to metal, the best adhesive is Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy. Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy will bond almost instantly and the cardboard won’t slide off the metal and it will hold forever so long as the cardboard doesn’t get wet.
Overall, the best glue for cardboard is Gorilla Clear Glue. The best spray adhesive for cardboard is 3M 45 General Purpose Spray Adhesive. The best glue for bonding cardboard to fabric is Gamblin Poly Vinyl Acetate. And the best adhesive for bonding cardboard to metal is Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy.
Yes, hot glue will work perfectly fine on cardboard just like any other paper-based product out there.
3M 45 General Purpose Spray Adhesive is not ideal for small surfaces as its nozzle isn’t adjustable and you would be more likely to get glue on things that you don’t want to be glued.
No, Gorilla Clear Glue cannot be thinned, but it can be spread out once applied to allow for that even coverage you are looking for.
No, the Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy nozzle only comes in syringe form. If you want a different application method, we suggest trying a different adhesive.
No, when applying Gamblin PVA, make sure the fabric is ironed out and unstretched for best application to cardboard or other surfaces.