What is the best glue for styrofoam?
Styrofoam is one of the most challenging materials to glue successfully, and finding a glue that can hold on strong and last forever can sometimes feel impossible as you read product description after product description about how a certain glue can adhere to anything but styrofoam. However, there are glues out there that can bond with styrofoam really well. Here are the best glues for styrofoam.
Table of Contents
Bestseller No. 1
Styro Pro High Strength Water Based Premixed Acrylic Paste Adhesive for Decorative Materials (Pack of 6 Tubes) Perfect Glue for Styrofoam Tiles, PVC Tyles, polystyrene Crown moldings
- Highly flexible - will not crack over time
- Water Base - no smell
- Has strong initial grab
- Paintable - with any suitable paint
- Can be used to fill holes & small gaps in the walls and ceilings
Bestseller No. 2
BEACON Hold The Foam
- Instant grab
- Water clean-up
- Made in the USA
Bestseller No. 3
RM-24 Polystyrene (Styrofoam) Ceiling Tile to Cover Popcorn (Pack of 96 Tiles).Easy paintable. Easy DIY Glue up Application on Any Flat Surface or Popcorn Ceiling. Decorative Ceiling Panels. Classic.
- WATER / MOISTURE PROOF can be installed in the bathrooms or other areas with higher humidity levels
- HIDE THE POPCORN. Can be installed directly over the popcorn ceilings without scraping it first. Will help to hide color imperfections (traces of leaks) and holes.
- VERY EASY AND FAST TO INSTALL - does not require any special tools or skills. Perfect for DIY projects. Or if help needed - any handy man can handle the installation
- COVERAGE: Each ceiling tile is 19.6" X 19.6" which is 2.7 sq.ft. Package of 96 will cover ~260 sq.ft
- EASY PAINTABLE. Could be painted with any good quality water based/latex paint. To paint the ceiling tiles thick fluffy roller should be used ( the same one that is used to paint the popcorn ceilings)
Bestseller No. 4
50pc of Astana White (20"x20" Foam) Ceiling Tiles - Covers About 135sqft - Styrofoam Ceiling Tile for Glue up Application
- Made from high quality Polystyrene foam
- Easy to install - with most any Mastic ceramic tile adhesive
- Can be installed right over Pop Corn ceiling
- Can be painted with most any water or latex based paints
- Tin like look from a modern material
Bestseller No. 5
40 pc Box of R 139 Styrofoam Direct Glue Up Ceiling Tile (20x20)
- Easily Glues directly to Popcorn Ceilings, Stucco, Plywood, Sheetrock, Knock-Down.
- Paintable with any water-based paints, metallic or non-metallic.
- Cuts with razor knife
- Adds sound, heat & cold insulation.
- Looks like real tin or plaster ceiling, depending on the finish.
UHU POR Styrofoam Adhesive is the best overall glue for styrofoam. Specifically designed to work on rigid polystyrene foam, UHU POR Styrofoam Adhesive forms a bond that is doesn’t age and always remains flexible. UHU POR Styrofoam Adhesive can also be used to bond plastics, metal, leather, paper, glass, and wood. UHU POR Styrofoam Adhesive can bond styrofoam with styrofoam or with any of the other listed materials. It has a dry time of just 10 to 20 minutes and a full cure time of 24 hours.
Best Mess-Free Glue for Styrofoam
The best mess-free glue for styrofoam is Weldbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive. Weldbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive is one of the best multi-purpose adhesives out there. It says that it can only bond with brick, glass, and metal, but it can do so much more, including styrofoam. Weldbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive comes with a mess-free applicator, but the glue can be easily be cleaned up with soap and water while still wet should there be an accident. Weldbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive does not swell, emits no fumes, and is even paintable after it dries.
Best Clear Glue for Styrofoam
The best clear glue for styrofoam is Elmer’s Craftbond Tacky Glue. A bit of a dark horse on this list, Elmer’s Craftbond Tacky Glue is actually an excellent glue for styrofoam, particularly when it comes to crafting. Elmer’s Craftbond Tacky Glue goes on white and dries clear, just like many Elmer’s products. It creates a permanent bond and fully dries in 5 hours.
Best Non-Toxic Glue for Styrofoam
The best non-toxic glue for styrofoam is Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue. Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue applies white, dries clear, and has an entirely non-toxic formula that is safe for kids to use. A perfect glue for crafting, Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue can adhere to not only styrofoam but also all manner of paper products, wood, plastic, metal, and nonwashable fabrics. Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue has a super-fast cure time of just 35 minutes, and its bond is incredibly strong and permanent.
Overall, the best glue for styrofoam is UHU POR Styrofoam Adhesive. The best mess-free glue for styrofoam is Weldbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive Glue. The best clear glue for styrofoam is Elmer’s Craftbond Tacky Glue. And the best non-toxic glue for styrofoam is Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue.
No, many multi-purpose adhesives will not bond with styrofoam, and some may even melt it. It is always better to seek glues that explicitly state that they bond with styrofoam.
UHU POR Styrofoam Adhesive dries transparent but not crystal clear.
Weldbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive is not waterproof, but it is water-resistant and weatherproof. So no stress at all if it comes into contact with a bit of moisture, but it should never be submerged in water if you expect it to hold its bond.
No, Elmer’s Craftbond Tacky Glue does not stay tacky after it dries. It is mostly rigid with some slight flexibility.
No, Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue does not stay tacky after it dries. Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue dries flexibly.