What is the best glue for upholstery?
Upholstery can really take a beating. From kids to pets to parties, there is no shortage of ways for the upholstery in your house to tear. But, there are just as many ways to mend those tears without the need for needles and thread. Here are the best glues for upholstery.
Table of Contents
Bestseller No. 1
Camie Fast TACK Upholstery Adhesive, 12 oz. can, 1 Count (313)
- Camie 313 Fast Tack Upholstery Adhesive is especially formulated to bond foam to foam, as well as foam-to-fabric, wood, particle board, cardboard, metal and fiberglass
- Has a web spray pattern that is clear, offers low soak-in and instant tack
- Develops flexible bonds that are either temporary or permanent
- Single can
- Made in the USA!
Bestseller No. 2
Gorilla Super Glue Gel, 20 Gram, Clear, (Pack of 1)
- GEL FORMULA: No run control gel formula that is great for use on vertical surfaces
- ANTI CLOG CAP: Helps keep the glue from drying out. It's Gorilla tough use after use.
- IMPACT TOUGH: Specially formulated for increased impact resistance and strength
- FAST-SETTING: Dries in 10-45 seconds. No clamping required.
- VERSATILE: Bonds plastic, wood, metal, ceramic, rubber, leather, paper and more. Not recommended for use on polyethylene or polypropylene plastic or similar materials.
SaleBestseller No. 3
Speed-Sew No Sew Fabric Glue Adhesive for Craft Projects, DIY Clothing Repairs, Denim, Upholstery, and Leather, Instant Mender for Fraying, 2 Pack
- Instant Fabric Adhesive Glue – This multipurpose craft glue has been supporting seamstresses, hobbyists, and DIY project planners for more than 50 years and helps repair fabric, leather, and other materials safely and instantly.
- Ultra-Strong Hold – Completely washable our fabric mending glue provides a water-resistant, flexible hold that won’t come off even in the washing machine, so you can trust it will continue its durable, reliable hold through all your adventures.
- Multipurpose Repair Use – This fabric glue permanent washable formula can be used on all types of fabrics including cotton, genuine leather, shoes, tents, drapes and window curtains, carpeting, furniture upholstery, and much more.
- Create a Fun, Colorful Fashion Statement – More than a fraying glue for fabric this craft glue can also be used to add patches to jeans, add a fun touch to your arts and crafts projects, enhance a pair of cowboy boots, and other exciting ideas.
- Easy to Apply Tube – Similar to fabric glue sticks our liquid formula spreads seamlessly over surfaces and helps adhere edges quickly, so you can make less mess and better support all your no-sew, no-need efforts.
Bestseller No. 4
Upholstery HIGH Temperature/Strength Web Spray Glue Contact Adhesive 13oz. for Fabric, Foam, Acoustic Panels, Crafting & Automotive Headliner. Fabric, Foam, or Vinyl to Fabric, Foam, Vinyl, or Wall.
- This spray adhesive is a high strength, high temperature resistant formulation that holds most woods, particle board, metal, laminate and many plastics. It is ideal for use on trim work, door panels, decorative laminates, upholstery work, and many more demanding applications.
- DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Shake well before using. Hold can 6-8" from surface to be bonded and apply an even coating.
- FOR PERMANENT BONDS: Spray both surfaces and allow to dry to a tack.
- TACK RANGE: 1-sided application: 30 minutes. 2-sided application: 2 hours
- TO CLEAN TIP: Invert can and spray until only gas comes out.
Bestseller No. 5
2 Pack Professional Foam Fabric Upholstery Leather Aerosal Adhesive Glue Spray
- Made in the USA
- Free Shipping
When it comes to upholstery, the two most common materials that may need repairing are fabric and leather. And conveniently, the best adhesive for upholstery overall can bond with both. Tear Mender Instant Fabric and Leather Adhesive is by far the best glue for repairing upholstery as it creates strong bonds instantly. After application, any fabric or leather can be used within 3 minutes and is totally washable within 15 minutes. So with Tear Mender Instant Fabric and Leather Adhesive, you don’t have to worry about losing the bond the best time you have to wash your upholstery.
Hest Hot Glue for Upholstery
Hot glue is not advisable to use for all upholstery as it can melt certain fibers, but sometimes upholstery needs a more heavy-duty handling and hot glue is the best choice for the job as it will provide a stronger bond over time. The best hot glue hon for upholstery is the AdTech 0453 Dual Temperature Hot Glue Gun. AdTech 0453 Dual Temperature Hot Glue Gun is safe to use on different fabrics, even ones as delicate as ribbon. And with its dual temperature control, you can set the appropriate temperature for whatever upholstery you’re gluing.
How to Use Hot Glue on Upholstery
Best Spray Glue for Upholstery
Sometimes upholstery really takes a beating and you need to glue a rather large surface area. If that happens, you are better off using a spray adhesive because it will cover that large surface area without soaking through and staining your upholstery. The best glue for this job is Camie Fast Tack Upholstery Adhesive.
Best Stain-Free Adhesive for Upholstery
Not all adhesives can promise that they won’t stain your upholstery if they get into the wrong area. If you need that stain-free promise then the best glue for upholstery is Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive. Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive has the unique ability to be acid-free, drying completely clear, not staining fabric, and being completely washable.
To conclude, the best glue for upholstery overall is Tear Mender Instant Fabric and Leather Adhesive. The best hot glue for upholstery is AdTech Dual Temperature Hot Glue Gun. The best spray adhesive for upholstery is Camie Fast Tack Upholstery Adhesive. And the best stain-free adhesive for upholstery is Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive.
Yes, it is entirely possible to make your own fabric glue for upholstery. If you have a very sensitive piece of upholstery and need to be aware of every ingredient and their ratios in your adhesive, then by all means make your own, but if not, buying fabric glue will likely do a much better job and be less time-consuming.
Yes, the AdTech Dual Temperature Hot Glue Gun does come with a stand, but it is better to let it heat up while lying flat on a non-flammable surface as the stand is at an angle and the glue can leak out.
Yes, Camie Fast Tack Upholstery Adhesive is a permanent adhesive, but it can also be temporary if necessary.
Yes, Tear Mender Instant Fabric and Leather Adhesive’s bond is is so strong, permanent, and washable, that it can completely replace the need to sew your upholstery.
Yes, Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive is completely flexible after it dries, so it will be able to move with the upholstery after it has completely cured.